Lemony Split Pea Soup
- 2 1/2 cups dried split peas
- 1/2 pound thick cut bacon
- 4 shallots minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary minced
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 whole carrots peeled & chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Rinse the peas under cold water, and remove any stones.
- Place a large Dutch oven on the stove at a medium high setting.
- Chop the bacon into small pieces, and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes, until it begins to render.
- Add the shallots, lemon zest and garlic, and continue to cook for another 2 or 3 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock, and add the peas, bay leaf, carrots, rosemary, cumin, and stock, about 1 teaspoon of salt, and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer until the peas are soft, or about 45 minutes. The peas should be softened almost to a purée. (If you like a purée, you can pulse in a food processor.)
- Remove the bay leaf, and pour in the lemon juice. Stir, and season with salt and black pepper as desired.