Lemony Vegan Stuffing
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup cipollini onions chopped
- 1 leek thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cremini mushrooms chopped
- 1 cups shitake mushrooms chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup fresh sage chopped
- 2 tablespoons rosemary minced
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
- 1 Limoneira® lemon zest & juice
- 5 cups bread cubed
- 3 sprigs Italian parsley chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Sea salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and prepare an 8” x 12” or 9” x 13” casserole dish by lightly greasing it or spraying with cooking oil.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet, and saute the onions and leek for 1 to 2 minutes, until beginning to soften. Add the chopped mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and pepper to taste. Cook until the mushrooms begin to soften, or about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, sage, rosemary, lemon zest and juice, and pecans. Continue to saute for another 8 to 10 minutes, until the mushrooms are golden brown, and soft, and the vegetable liquid has reduced.
- Add the bread cubes, and stir to scrape up any bits from the pan to blend in. Add the remaining olive oil, and gently stir to coat all the bread and mushroom mixture in it.
- Once the mixture is heated through and blended, stir in the chopped parsley, and cook for a minute or two, until it wilts.
- Stir in one cup of the vegetable broth, and blend into the mixture.
- Transfer the stuffing to the casserole dish.
- Pour the last cup of broth over the stuffing.
- Bake for 20 minutes. The top should be golden brown.
- Allow the stuffing to cool for about 15 minutes before serving.