Mandarin Prosciutto Hors d’Oeuvres
- 1 baguette
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 shallots thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs rosemary chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 lemon juice only
- 4 mandarin oranges peeled
- 1/2 lb fresh mozzarella thinly sliced
- 14 slices prosciutto
- 3/4 cup walnuts chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 ºF.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet at a medium setting. Sauté the shallots until they are fragrant, or about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the rosemary and pepper and continue to sauté until softened, or about another 5 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in the honey and lemon juice, and then the chopped mandarin.
- Let the mixture simmer until it’s reduced by about a quarter.
- Set aside and let it cool.
- Cut the bread into slices about 1/2-inch thick. Brush with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, and sprinkle with garlic powder, distributing it as evenly as you can.
- Place the slices on a baking sheet, and toast in the oven for about 1 minutes under the broiler.
- Top with the mozzarella slices, and return under the broiler for another minute.
- Add a piece of prosciutto to each, and then top with a spoonful of the mandarin mixture.
- Top with chopped walnuts.