Meyer Lemon Oat Squares
Oatmeal Crust & Topping:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted & cooled to lukewarm
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dried coconut shredded or flaked
- 1/2 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 1 large egg
Meyer Lemon Filling:
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk 14 ounces
- 1/2 cup Meyer lemon juice 3-4 lemons
- 2 tablespoons Meyer lemon zest 1-2 lemons
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, coconut, brown sugar, and almonds in a large bowl. Stir together until thoroughly combined. You can also use a food processor.
- Using two knives, cut the butter into the oat and flour mixture until it forms a crumbly texture.
- Stir in the egg to moisten throughout the dough.
- Take half the mixture, and press it into a 9” x 9” square baking pan that you have prepared with a light coating of butter. To be extra careful, you can line the baking dish with foil, and then lightly grease the foil. This will be the crust.
- In a bowl, whisk together the condensed milk, Meyer lemon juice and zest. Pour over the crust.
- Now, crumble the remaining oat/flour mixture on top of the lemon filling.
- Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until firm.