Meyer Lemon Upside-Down Cake
- 2 tbsps Softened unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Meyer lemons
- 1 1/2 cups Toasted whole almonds
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 4 large Egg yolks
- 4 large Egg whites
- 1/3 cup Honey
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
- Rub bottom and sides of an 8-inch cake pan with 2 tablespoons butter and sprinkle bottom with sugar.
- Thinly slice lemons and remove seeds. Arrange lemon slices in concentric circles over brown sugar and set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse almonds until finely ground. Add baking soda and salt, and pulse to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks and honey. Stir in almond mixture.
- Beat egg whites until doubled in volume ( but do not form soft peaks). Gently fold whites into almond mixture until just combined. Transfer batter to prepared cake pan.
- Bake until top is deep golden brown and skewer inserted into middle comes out clean, 30-35 minutes.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Carefully turn out onto a serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature. Slice with a serrated knife.