Moro Blood Orange Caramels
- 4 cups Moro blood orange juice about 16 oranges
- 8 tablespoons Unsalted butter cut into pieces
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground cardamom
- 1 cup toasted almonds
- 2 teaspoons flaky sea salt
- Prepare an 8-inch square baking dish by lining with parchment paper, and then buttering the paper.
- Strain the Moro blood orange juice to remove the pulp, passing it through a fine mesh strainer twice.
- Pour the juice into a large saucepan at a high setting.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer to reduce the juice to about to 1/2 cup of liquid, stirring occasionally. It should take about 45 minutes or so.
- The reduce juices will be thick and syrupy.
- Remove the pan from the stove, and stir in the butter, sugars, and cream.
- Stir only until the butter has fully melted and the mixture is nicely smooth.
- Return the pan to the heat at a high setting and boil, stirring constantly, until a candy or deep fat thermometer reads 252°F/122°C – about 15 to 17 minutes.
- If you don’t have a candy thermometer, take a half a teaspoon and plunge it into a glass of ice water. If it turns into a firm ball with a chewy texture, it’s done.
- Turn off the heat and remove the thermometer immediately.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Transfer the caramel to the prepared pan, spreading it gently so that it is even.
- Allow it to cool, either on the counter or in the fridge.
- Once it is completely cooled, you can lift the big square of caramel out of the pan, and cut it on a cutting board with a sharp knife. If you are having trouble cutting, try wiping the blade with a little vegetable oil first.
- Store in the fridge or at room temperature.
- To add to your caramel experience, combine your choice of any or all of the optional ingredients in a small bowl.
- You can add the extra ingredients with the vanilla extract just before transferring the caramel to the baking dish.
- If you want to add the toasted almonds and/or sea salt, you can also line the baking dish with it, pouring the caramel on top to cool.
- You can also sprinkle almonds and sea salt flakes on top of the caramels if you wish.