Orange, Avocado & Chickpea Salad
- 2 Limoneira® oranges
- 2 ripe Limoneira® avocados
- 1 cup chickpeas cooked & drained
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 cups baby lettuce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 shallot finely chopped
- 1 Limoneira® orange juice & zest
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme chopped
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt, optional
- Cut the oranges in half. Using a very sharp knife, and over a bowl to catch any juice, cut between the membranes of the orange to release the flesh in small chunks.
- Add the flesh to the bowl.
- Peel the avocados and cut first into slices, then smaller chunks. Add to the bowl with the orange fruit.
- Next add the chickpeas.
- Gently stir in the sesame oil, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a small saucepan over a low setting – just enough to heat gently as you prepare the rest of the salad and dressing.
- Lightly beat the honey and olive oil together.
- Add the orange juice, next vinegar.
- Add the orange zest and thyme, and beat, or place in a bottle and shake.
- Arrange the baby lettuce leaves on a place, and spoon the slightly warmed chickpeas, oranges and avocados on top.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve immediately.
- Optional: add dollops of yohgurt over your salad for a cool contrast to the spice.