Orange Braised Short Ribs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 lbs beef short ribs
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 3 shallots chopped
- 1 rib celery chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cups dry red wine
- 3 large oranges zest & juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven at a medium high setting.
- Sprinkle the ribs with salt and pepper, and sear them in the oil, browning on all sides for about 6 minutes.
- Once browned, place on a plate and set aside for now.
- Add the shallots and chopped celery, and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, oregano, rosemary and bay leaf, and continue to cook for another minute or two.
- Stir in the red wine, scraping up from the bottom of the pan, and bring to a simmer.
- Add the orange zest and juice and soy sauce to the pan and stir as you bring it back to a bubbling simmer.
- Add the ribs to the mixture, and cook for a few minutes as you preheat the oven to 300˚F.
- Transfer the mixture to a roasting pan, or if it’s ovenproof, place the Dutch oven in the oven. Cover and cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Remove the ribs from the oven when they’re done, and set aside on a platter.
- Take the juices from the pan, and boil to reduce and thicken.
- Serve the ribs with the sauce.