Orange Ginger & Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 6 eggs room temperature
- 4 large Limoneira® oranges zest & juice
- 1/2- inch fresh ginger minced
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chunks
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and generously butter and flour a 10-inch Bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, ginger and orange zest. Use the back of a spoon, or even your fingers, to blend them together.
- Add the butter, and beat until light in texture.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating continuously.
- In a second bowl, measure about 1/3 cup of the orange juice (you can use the rest for something else), yogurt, and vanilla, and blend together.
- In a third bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Sift to blend together.
- Add about 1/3 of the yogurt mixture to the egg mixture, and fold into the batter.
- Now, add 1/3 of the flour mixture, and blend it in.
- Repeat until the batter is fully incorporated.
- Add the chocolate chunks last.
- Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes, up to 1 hour. A clean knife inserted in the center should come out dry (other than melted chocolate!)
- Create a double boiler by placing a heat-proof bowl or smaller pot inside a larger pot about 2/3 full of water.
- Melt the chocolate, and stir in the heavy cream and instant coffee until well blended. It should be smooth in texture, and warm, but not bubbling hot.
- Drizzle over the top of the cake.