Orange & Herb Tuna Steaks
- 4 tuna steaks 6oz – about 1-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 3 shallots chopped
- 2 large oranges zest & juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, orange juice and zest, balsamic vinegar, thyme and ginger to a bowl and mix together.
- Place the tuna steaks in a shallow baking dish, and pour about half the orange mixture over them. Turn to make sure they are coated on all sides.
- Refrigerate and let the tuna marinate for about 30 minutes.
- In a skillet, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and saute the shallots for 5 to 7 minutes, until fragrant and soft.
- Remove the tuna from the marinade, and sear in the skillet over a high heat about 2 to 3 minutes per side for rare, or to your desired doneness. (It tastes best rare to medium.)
- Remove from the pan, and place on a covered dish to keep warm for a few minutes while you make the sauce.
- Keep the skillet at medium high, and add the reserved orange mixture, scraping up the shallots. Cook until heated through and through.
- Add the white wine, and simmer until reduced by about a third.
- Pour over the tuna steaks.