Orange Spice Candy Apples
- 8 lollipop sticks about 6-inch long
- 8 medium apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Limoneira® fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Limoneira® orange zest finely minced
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts OR
- 1/2 cup candy bits smashed
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips small size
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, and wash the apples thoroughly.
- Take the lollipop sticks, and insert them firmly through the bottom of each apple.
- Add the sugar, spices, orange juice and zest, and corn syrup in a heavy saucepan over a medium-high setting.
- Cook, stirring only occasionally, for about 20 minutes. A candy thermometer should measure 305°F.
- Remove the mixture from the heat.
- You’ll have to work quickly, before the coating cools too much. Take each apple by the lollipop stick, and swirl it in the candy coating. Let any excess drip back into the saucepan.
- Let it set on the parchment paper for about 20 minutes before eating.
- As the coating is cooking, combine the nuts (or candy bits) and chocolate chips in a small bowl.
- After you coat each apple in the orange spice coating, dip it briefly into the nuts and chocolate mixture before placing it on the baking sheet to set.