Orange Spice Coffee Cake
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 orange zest & juice
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powdered
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup candied ginger chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup butter cut into pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and lightly grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Before you begin, set aside half the orange juice and zest. (You’ll add them to the topping.)
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until the mixture is fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time as you continue to beat.
- Now add (half) the orange juice and zest.
- In a second bowl, measure the flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder and salt. Toss to combine.
- With the yogurt measured into a small bowl, add about a third of the flour mixture to the butter/sugar/eggs, beating to combine.
- Next, add about a third of the yogurt.
- Continue alternating the dry ingredients and yogurt until all the ingredients have been incorporated.
- Transfer into the prepared baking dish.
- Combine the brown sugar, flour, candied ginger, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. Toss to combine.
- Add the remaining orange juice and zest, and stir to blend.
- Cut in the butter with knives or your fingers until combined. The mixture should be coarse, with crumble about the size of peas or smaller.
- Carefully add the topping on top of the cake batter, trying to spread it evenly.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes. A clean knife inserted into the center should come out clean.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container.