Oven Braised Endive With Orange
- 2 pounds Belgian endives
- 2 Limoneira® oranges juice only
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Wash the endives and remove the outer leaves. You can leave them whole or cut them in half lengthwise.
- Heat the oil in a skillet at a medium setting. Add the garlic and saute for 2 to 3 minutes, until fragrant.
- Carefully place the endives in the pan and sprinkle with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Saute for about 5 minutes, turning occasionally, until the endives begin to brown.
- Transfer to the baking dish, and pour the orange juice on top, distributing it evenly.
- Dot each endive with butter, and then cover the baking dish with foil.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes. The endives should be very tender.
- Serve drizzled with any juices left in the dish.
- Cut the very bottom off the trunk of the endives (it reduces the bitterness) just before serving. If you do it before they cook, the endives will fall apart as they soften.