Pasta With Lemon Gremolata
- 1 shallot sliced – optional*
- 1 bird’s eye chili pepper chopped – optional*
- 1 cup Italian parsley chopped
- 2 large lemons zest & juice
- 1 orange zest only – optional*
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1 pound pasta
- 1/2 cup Romano cheese grated – optional*
- Combine the parsley, lemon zest and juice, orange zest if you are including it, and garlic in a small bowl. Stir to combine, season with salt and pepper, and set aside for now.
- Start to cook the pasta in a pot of boiling salted water until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, if you are adding the shallots and pepper, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a skillet, and saute the shallots 5 to 7 minutes, until soft.
- Add the bird’s eye chilli during the last 2 minutes or so.
- As the pasta is nearly ready, lower the heat to medium-low, and add the parsley/lemon mixture to the pan to heat gently.
- When the pasta is ready, drain, and add to the skillet, tossing to coat evenly with the sauce.
- Add the optional grated Romano last, tossing to combine, and saving a little to sprinkle on top.