Ruby Red Grapefruit Infused Gin
- 2 medium Star Ruby grapefruits
- 1 bottle gin 26oz/750ml
- 4 tablespoons fine sugar
- 2 inches fresh ginger slices
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Run the tap water hot and scrub the grapefruits to remove any dirt or wax from the skin.
- Use a peeler, or a very sharp knife, to peel off the zest only – i.e. the colored portion only, and not the bitter white pith. When you peel, do it over a bowl to catch any juice that is released.
- Juice the grapefruits, and strain out any seeds.
- Add the grapefruit zest and juice to a large clean jar or bottle that you can reseal.
- If you are adding sugar, add it now too, and swish around the bottle until the sugar has dissolved.
- If you are adding either ginger or rosemary, you would add it now too.
- Pour the gin into the jar or bottle, making sure to cover the strips of zest and anything else you’ve added.
- Screw the lid on the jar or bottle tightly, and place in a cool, dark place for at least one month.
- You can leave it longer – the flavor becomes stronger the longer it is left.
- Shake, and strain before using.