Salmon & Corn Chowder with Lemon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium stalks celery diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 small potatoes unpeeled & cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 pounds salmon fillets skinless & boneless, cut into chunks
- 1 lemon zested
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 bunch green onions coarsely chopped
- Add the oil to a large saucepan or Dutch oven and heat over a medium setting.
- Saute the onions, salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper, for about 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the chopped celery and minced garlic, continuing to stir as you saute.
- Add the potatoes to the saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes.
- Now, add the chopped green onions and corn, and cook for 2 minutes to heat.
- Add the flour, and stir to coat all the vegetables.
- Stir in 2 cups of the stock and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring until it thickens. Stir in the remaining 2 cups of stock until the mixture is smooth.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the potatoes are almost done.
- Add the cream, and continue to simmer, uncovered for about 5 more minutes.
- Stir in the salmon and lemon zest gently, so the salmon remains intact. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes until the salmon is just done.
- Add the lemon juice and green onion, stirring gently just before you serve.