Spicy Beef & Orange Stew
- 2 pounds stewing beef cut into cubes
- 5 ounces bacon chopped
- 1 tablespoon All purpose flour
- 7/8 cup red wine
- 7/8 cup beef stock
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 sprig thyme
- 2 oranges 1 zested and both juiced, use Cara Cara oranges in season
- 7 ounces baby carrots
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 300ºF.
- Add the oil to a large oven-proof dish with a lid. Heat over a medium-high setting.
- Add the meat and brown on all sides.
- Add the bacon and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour evenly over the meat and stir to mix thoroughly.
- Add the red wine and stock, stirring to blend in the flour.
- Add red onion, garlic, bay leaves, cloves, cinnamon stick, thyme, orange juice and zest.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Add the carrots.
- Cover with the lid and place in the oven for about 1 hour and 30 to 45 minutes. The meat should be very tender.
- Remove from the oven.
- For best results, let the dish cool and then store in the fridge overnight to allow the flavors to continue to steep together.
- When you are ready to reheat, place the dish back in the oven at 350ºF for 25 to 30 minutes.