Spicy Blood Orange Chicken
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon crushed black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 lbs chicken parts 1 chicken cut into pieces breasts or legs & thighs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Sauce & garnish:
- 4 blood oranges
- 2 large onion peeled, halved & sliced
- 1 inch of ginger root minced
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 1 bunch mint roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 blood oranges peeled & cut into thin slices
- 4 ounces nuts slivered almonds and/or pistachios
- Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven at a medium-high setting. Set aside the rest of the oil for now.
- As it heat, measure the paprika, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, dried oregano, dried thyme and flour into a bowl. Use a fork to mix them thoroughly.
- Dredge the chicken pieces in the flour mixture, setting each aside on a platter or large plate for now.
- Brown the chicken on both sides, and set each back on the platter.
- Zest 4 blood oranges. Then, remove as much of the white pith as you can, and chop the flesh. Add the zest and chopped orange to the pan at a medium setting.
- Stir in the onion slivers, ginger, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the onions begin to brown, scraping up any bits from the pan that you can.
- Add the garlic, thyme, and lemon juice, and bring to a simmer.
- Return the chicken to the pan. Turn the setting to a low heat, and cover the skillet.
- Cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, depending on the thickness, until the chicken is very tender, and the juices run clear.
- Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside on a platter.
- Add half the mint and the vinegar to the pan. The sauce will be chunky. Bring it to a boil, adding a little water if necessary.
- Arrange the blood orange slices on top of the chicken, and pour the sauce on top.
- Garnish with mint and nuts.