Spicy Hot Buttered Rum
- 1 ounce Spicy Cinnamon Syrup
- 1 ounce dark rum
- 2 teaspoons Fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Boiling water
- 1 tablespoon Unsalted butter
- Cinnamon stick to garnish
- 4 cups Sugar
- 24 cardamom pods crushed (1 tablespoon)
- 4 Cinnamon sticks
- 2 vanilla beans
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Add the sugar, crushed cardamom, and cinnamon sticks to a medium sized saucepan.
- Split the vanilla beans along the length. Scrape out the seeds, adding both seeds and beans to the sugar and spice mixture.
- Add 4 cups water and stir.
- Heat to a simmer on a medium-high setting, stirring constantly until the sugar is dissolved.
- Do not allow it to come to a full boil – just before, remove from heat and add the cayenne pepper.
- Allow the mixture to sit for about 1 hour.
- Strain into a bowl, reserving the cinnamon sticks and vanilla beans. Discard the rest.
- Add the vanilla beans and cinnamon sticks back to the syrup and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using.
- Add 1 ounce of the syrup, rum, and lemon juice to a mug. Swish together lightly.
- Pour in boiling water and add butter immediately.
- Stir until butter is thoroughly melted.
- Serve immediately with a cinnamon stick garnish.