Stewed Beans With Lemon & Herbs
- 1/2 lb dried pinto beans
- 1/2 lb dried red beans
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 shallots sliced
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 3 sprigs flat leaf parsley chopped
- Place the beans in a large pot and cover with water.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of salt.
- Cover, and allow to soak overnight.
- Drain the beans and rinse them. Set aside for now.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large soup pot at a medium setting.
- Sauté the shallots until lightly browned, or about 10 minutes, stirring to cook evenly.
- Add the lemon zest, bay leaf, garlic, rosemary, paprika and turmeric. Stir and cook for 1 or 2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Next, stir in the tomato paste and the last tablespoon of olive oil, and cook for another minute or two.
- Add the lemon juice, red wine, and vegetable stock. Stir together and heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the beans to the liquid, season with salt and pepper to taste, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 90 minutes, or until the beans are very tender and flavorful. Check every 20 to 30 minutes to make sure it doesn’t dry out too fast. If it does, you can add water or a little more vegetable broth.
- When they’re nearly done, stir in the soy sauce.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, and serve.