Super Sides: Lemon Herb Fennel
- 2 large bulbs fennel
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 °F.
- Trim the tops and bottoms of the fennel bulbs, and reserve about 1/3 cup of the fronds.
- Cut the bulbs in half, and trim out the tougher inside core. Slice the rest into wedges about 1-inch thick.
- Place the fennel on a roasting pan, and drizzle about half the oil on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven and roast for about 10 minutes.
- Combine the lemon juice and zest, honey, Dijon, garlic, thyme and rosemary, along with the rest of the oil, in a small bowl and blend well.
- Take the fennel out of the oven, and pour about half the mixture over it as evenly as you can. Turn the leaves over, and drizzle with the rest of the liquids.
- Return to the oven, and roast for another 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the fennel with Parmesan, and return to the oven for another 5 to 7 minutes. The fennel should be nicely caramelized.
- Garnish with the chopped fronds you reserved, and serve immediately.
Image by CongerDesign (CC0/Pixabay)