- 1 bottle red wine
- 2/3 cup 100 proof bourbon
- 2/3 cup white rum
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 oranges
- 8 whole cloves
- 3 whole cardamom pods cracked
- 1/2 inch ginger root thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark raisins
- 3 tablespoons almonds blanched & slivered
- Add the wine to a large saucepan, cover and heat at a medium setting.
- Stir in the bourbon and the rum, and heat it to be warm, but not bubbling or simmering.
- Slice one of the oranges thinly, and discard any seeds you find. Set aside for now.
- Juice the second orange, and set the liquid aside for now. Cut the zest from the orange in large strips.
- In the cheesecloth, tie up two strips of orange zest, the cinnamon sticks, cloves, ginger and cardamom pods. Add to the pot.
- As it heats up, stir in the sugar until fully dissolved, again without actually boiling the liquid.
- When the sugar has dissolved, quickly pour in the orange juice, and cover. Let it heat for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the stove, and let the mixture steep for an hour or two.
- When you’re ready, strain out the spices, and reheat gently at a low medium setting, using the sliced orange as garnish.
- Serve with a sprinkling of raisins and almonds in each mug.