Sweet Potato & Moro Blood Orange Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 1/2 inches fresh ginger root chopped finely
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 Moro blood orange juiced
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled + diced
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- Salt to taste
- Cracked black peppercorns to taste
- Sesame seeds to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot. Add the onions and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and chili peppers and continue to sauté for 8 to 10 minutes until the onions are thoroughly softened, but not browned, stirring frequently.
- Juice the Moro blood orange into the pot, and stir to blend.
- Add the sweet potatoes and stir together, then the vegetable stock.
- Season with salt and black peppercorns to taste.
- Heat to boiling over a medium-high setting, and then bring to a simmer. Cook about 15 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Puree the soup in a food processor in small batches.
- Serve hot, garnished with a sprinkle of sesame seeds.