Thai-Style Pummelo Crab Salad
- 2 shallots sliced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 lb queen crab legs
- 1 cucumber peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 carrot cut into julienne
- 1 Limoneira® pummelo
- 2 bunches fresh Thai basil chopped
- 1 large bunch fresh mint chopped
- 1 large bunch fresh coriander chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts crushed
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup Chinese rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 Limoneira® limes juice only
- Add the flour, salt and pepper to a small bowl, and toss the shallot slices in the mixture. Use your fingers to make sure they are well coated on all sides.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a skillet, and when it is hot, fry the shallots until golden brown (you can do it in batches).
- Drain on kitchen paper and set aside until you’re ready to use.
- Add the crab legs to a large pot of salted water. Boil for about 5 minutes. Remove from the hot water, and allow it to cool.
- Once cooled, crack open an dremove the meat, shredding it with a fork.
- Take a sharp knife, cut off the top and bottom end, and peel the thick pummelo skin through to the flesh. Cut through the membranes to release the flesh over a small bowl to catch any juices.
- Combine the crab meat, pummelo, basil leaves, mint, cilantro, carrots and cucumber in a bowl.
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl, and whisk together until the sugar dissolves.
- You can also heat it gently to dissolve the sugar.
- Arrange the salad on plates, and drizzle with the dressing.
- Garnish with the crispy shallots.