Vegan Lemon Pasta With Spicy Sesame Seeds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 cup red cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 Limoneira lemon zest & juice
- 1/2 pound angel hair pasta
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil at a medium high temperature.
- Add the garlic cloves, and cook for a minute or two.
- Reduce the temperature to medium, and add the sesame seeds, spreading them as thinly as possible. Squeeze about half the lemon juice over it, and sprinkle with half the lemon zest.
- Cook and stir as you add the salt the red chili pepper flakes, turning the sesame seeds over until they begin to brown on both sides.
- Add the cabbage and sprinkle with salt. Continue to saute for another 5 to 7 minutes, until the cabbage is softened but still a little crunchy.
- While the cabbage is cooking, heat a pot of lightly salted water to boiling, and add the pasta. Angel hair or capellini pasta cooks quickly in a matter of 3 or 4 minutes.
- When the pasta is ready, drain, reserving about 1/2 cup of the pasta liquid.
- When the cabbage is ready, add the remaining lemon juice, olive oil, and lemon zest to the skillet and heat for about a minute.
- Toss the pasta with the sesame seed mixture in the skillet.
- Add pasta water as needed to make a creamier texture for the sauce.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.