Vegan Orange Crème Caramel
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cups coconut cream
- 1 cup almond milk
- 6 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon agar powder
- 4 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 orange zest & juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Add the coconut sugar, water and lemon juice and a pinch of salt to a saucepan over a medium-high setting.
- Stir frequently as it heats to a boil.
- Lower to medium, and let it bubble, stirring as it thickens and some of the water begins to evaporate. It should take about 8 to 10 minutes for it to become a thick caramel. It should be a nice amber color.
- Pour the caramel into the ramekins. You can use one large, or four small. Leave them at room temperature as you make the custard.
- Place the coconut cream solids in a saucepan at a medium setting, and bring to a simmer. Let it liquefy as you stir.
- Combine the almond milk, cornstarch, agar powder, coconut sugar, vanilla extract and orange zest in a bowl, stirring to combine until the mixture is smooth.
- Now stir the almond milk mixture into the coconut cream as it simmers.
- Once it’s fully combined, continue to simmer for another 6 to 8 minutes.
- It will become very thick and creamy as it cooks.
- When it’s the right consistency, turn off the heat, and spoon the custard on top of the caramel. You may want to let it cool for a minute before you do.
- Smooth the top with the back of your spoon.
- Cover the ramekins with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 6 hours, or overnight. This allows the custard to set.
- To serve, remove the plastic, place a plate over the ramekin, and reverse.