Vegan Spring Rolls With Lemon Dipping Sauce
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 1 cup enoki mushrooms
- 1 avocado pitted & sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 4 ounces rice noodles cooked
- 12 spring roll wrappers
- 2 tablespoons corn flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- Oil to fry
- 3/4 cup raw tahini
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 lemon zest & juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger minced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Be sure to cut the avocado into very thin, longish slices that you can easily blend into the spring roll.
- Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan. Stir as you heat at a low temperature for a minute or two.
- Allow the sauce to cool, and it’s ready to eat.
- Set aside until you’re ready to use.
- Combine the lemon juice and zest, and soy sauce in a small bowl.
- Heat the oil in a skillet, and saute the mushrooms for about 5 minutes, until softened.
- Sprinkle with some of the lemon mixture as they cook, but don’t use more than half.
- Add the cabbage during the last 2 minutes or so, and cook until wilted.
- In a bowl, add the rice noodles and the remaining lemon and soy sauce. Toss the noodles to coat, and then combine with the mushroom mixture.
- Refrigerate the mushroom mixture and noodles for about 20 minutes. Drain any excess liquid when you are ready to use, and season to taste with salt.
- Combine the corn flour and water to make a paste. This is what you will use to seal the spring rolls.
- Peel off one spring roll wrapper at a time, and keep the rest covered with a damp cloth until you need them (they dry out quickly).
- Take the spring roll wrapper and place it flat with a point towards you. Place a heaped tablespoon of the mushroom mixture in the middle. Add a couple of slices of avocado.
- Roll up halfway, and then tuck the sides in before finishing the roll.
- Use the corn flour paste to seal along the edges, pressing gently once it’s fully rolled.
- Heat enough oil in a wok to be able to cover the spring rolls. When it bubbles rapidly around the handle of a wooden spoon, it’s ready.
- Fry the rolls 3 or 4 at a time until light golden brown.
- Remove using a slotted spoon so you can drain the oil.
- Serve with the sauce.