Winter Moro Blood Orange & Roasted Beet Salad
- 3-4 Moro blood oranges
- 1 peeled small red onion
- 1 pound red baby beet
- 1 pound yellow baby beets
- 3 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons floral honey
- 1 tablespoon orange zest from 2 small oranges
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Clean the beets and trim the green ends close to the beet.
- Place a large sheet of aluminum foil on a baking sheet - large enough to cover the baking sheet and double back over a single layer of beets, creating a roasting pouch.
- Create as many foil pouches as you need to enclose all the beets in single layers.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 15-20 minutes. The beets should be tender.
- While the beets are roasting, peel the Moro blood oranges and remove as much of the white pith as you can.
- Cut the oranges into thin slices and arrange on a platter.
- Peel the red onion and cut into thin slices, arranging them on top of the oranges on the platter.
- Open the foil pouches and let the beets cool for about a half an hour.
- Once cooled, you should be able to remove the skins by rubbing them off.
- But the beets into slices and arrange over the oranges and onions on the platter.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the vinegar, honey, zest, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper.
- Pour in the oil slowly in a steady stream as you continue to whisk the dressing together.
- Drizzle over the salad.
- Season with thyme and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.